Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Exhausted? Wake Up!




Life is full of obligations and responsibilities. So much is demanded from us all throughout the day that one of the few satisfying choices to be made is what you will eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. One pause to munch on something delicious can bring you seconds of joy during a hectic day.

I remember watching my mother come home from a long work day. She would stumble through the front door as if she just ran a marathon. Exhaustion ran through her body and her eyes could barely stay open. My grandmother would greet her and once again, head to the kitchen where she had been prepping dinner all day. I always noticed a change in gears once my mother would take a bite from my grandmothers Spicy Picadillo! This dish is especially delicious because I have always been a fan of spicy food. I personally prepped this recipe today and found it to be very simple to put together. Aside from its delicious taste, it also gave me an extra kick to my step after I ate it. I went back to work feeling awake and ready to attack the rest of my day!




The cure to exhaustion:




SPICY PICADILLO (GROUND BEEF):




Ingredients:


1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 1/2 tsp.
Adobo All-Purpose Seasoning
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
1 tsp. Minced Garlic or 2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 8 ounces can Tomato Sauce
1 tbsp Red Cooking Wine
1 tbsp Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Pimientos, diced
1/4 cup Pitted Spanish Olives, sliced



Directions:




1. Season the meat with the
adobo and set aside




2. In a skillet heat oil on medium. Stir in the chopped onions, diced green pepper and garlic and cook until the vegetables are tender and just slightly colored.




3. Stir in the meat, breaking it up as you brown it. When browned, pour off the excess fat.




4. Stir in the oregano and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato sauce, wine, vinegar, water, pimientos and olives



5. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment